Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Final Project

Here is the link for my Prezi:

prezi.com/wj2ngx9zdpvy/


This was the fist time I have created a Prezi. I learned about it through a classmate last semester, and have always wanted to try making one. From this assignment I learned that it's not always easy exploring new tools online. The more you work with different sites the more familiar you get with them. I learned not to give up if you are having trouble, but rather to keep trying, especially when it comes to technology. Unfortunatly my microphone was not working on the night of presentations, so it would have been difficult for me to actually present. I did give everyone the link for my Prezi, and I also have it posted again here on my blog. I would have like to have talked everyone through the differences in the video creating/sharing programs that I did my research on. These different softwares Animoto, Vimeo and YouTube can be used in a number of way in the classroom. Animoto is especially good for a beginning of the year project. Instead of writing about, or making a poster or slideshow of what you have done over the summer, students can now take their own pictures and viedo clips, and create their own movie with their own music selection to go along with it. Vimeo would is great for all teachers to use because it breaks videos down into different categories. So a history teacher who may be doing a lesson on The Great Wall of China, can go onto Vimeo and find a video from someone who may have been there and taken great footage. YouTube can also be used in schools, but I know there are many schools that have it blocked. YouTube has a wide variety of information on it, some of which is true and can be educational, but there is also a lot of garbage on it, that is not appropriate for the classroom. I advise any teacher using YouTube in the classroom to be careful, and fully watch the clip that you plan to show on your own, before you show it to the class. I was nervous when I first chose my topic because Animoto and Vimeo were two names that I have never even heard of. I am truly glad that I had to opportunity to research them, and I plan on using them in my classroom one day!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alexis! It would have been great if your microphone were working to talk us through this awesome presentation, but honestly, just watching it gave me tons of information I never knew before! It's great to understand the differences between the three as well as have all that information in one place to access when I actually have time to do something with it - students really love this stuff! Any time they're given a project to do for class, without fail, they ask if they can do some sort of video; students are so much more visually-oriented these days! I can understand why YouTube is blocked in schools, but I know you agree there needs to be a way that teachers can still have access to show students things that are relevant!

    ReplyDelete